Sunday 13 March 2011

Live engineering...

I was in the studio today with Aaron 'AKFX' Kara, my friend and classmate, who is launching his upcoming rap EP along with an online video featuring himself and his band performing live in the Futureworks SSL studio which is what we were filming and recording today.  It is the first time he has gotten such a big band together to play his songs and it sounded fantastic.  He asked me a few weeks ago if I could engineer the session, and although I have been busy with my own production I'm really glad I agreed.

We were recording Aaron on vocals as well as an electric guitar, acoustic guitar, bass guitar, drumkit, keyboards and a violinist, all live with no overdubs.  It was similar to our Soapworks Sessions in that sense, except that now I was behind the recording desk as opposed to performing and it was a lot of fun.  The band were obviously well rehearsed and I was mixing on the way in to Protools so Aaron would have a live, balanced recording to work with from the offset.

It was another test of my engineering and production skills and I really enjoyed the spontaneity of the live recording.  Although Aaron will be mixing the tracks post-production, it was a lot of fun and great experience to mix a live band on the way in to Protools, and Aaron agreed that Mazzie, who was engineering with me, and I had done a great job.  Another one for the CV for sure.

©AKFXmusic

No comments:

Post a Comment